Permanent Residence Card (PR Card) Renewal

Canadian Permanent Residents who wish to travel abroad are required to have a valid Permanent Residence Card.
This card has to be presented upon return to Canada at Port of Entry to be able to re-enter Canada.

The PR Card is valid for a five-year period.
We can assist you in the process of obtaining your card.

When to apply for PR Card renewal.

Canadian Permanent Residents should apply for PR Card renewal if one of the following happens:

  • PR card has expired or will expire within the next 9 months; or
  • PR card is destroyed, lost, or stolen; or
  • Permanent resident have changed legal name and need to update the card.


What is important to know when applying for PR card

1. To apply for PR card Renewal you must have the status of a permanent resident of Canada and you must submit your application from within Canada.
2. To be eligible for a PR Card renewal, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days out of the five-year period. 
3. If you need to travel outside of Canada for an emergency situation, but your card has already expired or the application for its renewal is still pending, there are ways to expedite the processing.
4. If you need to leave with no valid PR card, you can do that, however to return back to Canada, you need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document  at a Canadian visa office abroad. You will collect your new PR card once you return to Canada.

We can prepare the entire application for you and we will advice you of our fees when we respond to your inquiry.